Pages

Friday, May 29, 2009

An update on my... domesticity?

Is domesticity a word? My little red squiggly line isn't showing up to show it is a misspelling so I'm keeping it.

So anyways, for those of you who know my mom - the woman is a domestic diva... especially in the
kitchen. She is an absolutely amazing cook. I also love cooking...more so than baking - though my lonely looking Kitchen Aid beckons me to bake something soon. I strive to become a really good cook - branching out and making different things, learning new techniques, etc.

I had major anxiety throughout my
college, post-college life worrying that I would never be close to as good of a cook as my mom. Talk about pressure.

Well a good, wise, knowing husband probably would have kept this little tidbit to themselves, but mine is not one
that holds back. So this is a conversation that we had shortly after we got married:

Chad: "A guy at work today asked me if you were a good cook."


Me: "Well, what did you tell him?"

Chad: "I told him your mom is a GREAT cook. And you're learning."

Wrong answer buddy. But it was probably for the best. I took it as a challenge to prove my own culinary prowess.
Fast forward to last night:

Me: "Do you think I'm a good cook?"

Chad: "Yes."

Me: "Better than when we first got married?"


Chad: "You were on a linear path and now you're growing exponentially."

Then he said something about my cooking being to the tenth degree and I stopped listening because I don't like math - and math analogies make no sense to me. I do that a lot with Chad - he starts to answer things on my level and then starts adding in all this crazy talk I don't understand so I drown him out by singing little songs in my head. But sometimes I'm nice and tell him, "You can stop talking now. I have no clue what you're saying anymore."

So back to my domesticity: either I really am getting good, or Chad has learned the art of pacification lies. And yes, I just made that phrase up.

No comments:

Post a Comment