Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Maryland Crabs

Growing up, we spent lots of time in Maryland... with family both in Annapolis and in Chesapeake Beach. Being a youngin' I learned how to crab (with pots and the ol' fashion 'chicken leg on a rope'), how to pick a crab, and how to enjoy eating them! My dad jokes that he made us learn early because "If you can't pick 'em, you can't eat 'em." If you've experienced crab picking, you understand why. It's a wholeeee lotta work for a little bit of meat.

Picking crabs is pretty gross too... you have to pick out their gills, the "yellowish stuff" that I'm not even sure what it is. You end up cutting yourself on their pinchers and get old bay and vinegar into your cuts.
It's not for the faint of heart. Chad laughs at me that raw chicken grosses me out, but I can pick through a crab without it bothering me in the slightest.

People have different styles - the "eat as you go" or "stockpile it and enjoy all at once." I prefer eating as I go, because people like my bro Mike (who stockpiles) usually ends up losing some in the process as people steal bites off his pile. If someone ever picks crabs for you and lets you eat the meat, it is true love.

I began thinking crabs because this weekend in Maryland, the family went to Mike's Bar & Crab Shack for dinner. It was funny because when Molly told Mike (who was on the way to the beach with friends) we were eating at a place called "Mike's" for dinner, his response was "Well, if we find a place called Molly's tonight, I'll make sure we eat there." I don't think he had such luck, because he was moping to Molly later in jealously that, "No fair... you got to eat crabs and I had a piece of tombstone pizza with the pepperoni picked off of it."

I was tempted to participate in the ordering of dozens of crabs and eating them the ol' fashioned way... but I had a bridal shower to attend the next day and couldn't risk cut up hands and chipped nail polish. Besides, in 2 weeks my family is heading to the NC coast - to a house with a dock where we can do our own crabbing. I ordered crab imperial - and it was delish. I've been thinking about it since.

So if you're ever headed to the Annapolis area, make sure to stop at Mike's! And if you need a crab picking instructor - let me know. But I won't pick 'em for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment