Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Breastfast for Dinner

Growing up, it was always a "special treat" to have breakfast for dinner. We probably only had it on nights my mom was too tired to cook an elaborate dinner, but the rarity of it made it feel special. That and I just l.o.v.e. breakfast foods. Pancakes, eggs (any style), bacon, sausage, fresh juice, waffles, hash brown casserole, breakfast pizza, fresh fruits, quiche...all of it. But perhaps one of my favorite breakfast treats: GRITS. I absolutely love grits.

During college, I often made grits as my dinner since it was cheap and quick. It was also easy to make individual portions. Overtime I have perfected the way I like
my grits - old fashioned grits (none of the instant nonsense), water/skim milk mixture, tiny bit of butter, kraft cheese single (don't hate... it melts better), salt, pepper and a little bit of garlic salt. Sometimes if I'm feeling fancy and want to make it more dinner-like I sub chicken stock for water/milk. Possibilities are endless!

However, several months ago I tasted what might have been the best-tasting grits of my life at the Flying Biscuit Cafe in Cameron Village (they are a Georgia chain I think so I know they have a few other locations down south). Their creamy dreamy grits were simply out of this world. I decided to google them to see if I could find the recipe and sure enough -voila!


Flying Biscuit Creamy Dreamy White Cheddar Grits
serves 6

Ingredients
* 3 cups water
* 1 cups half-and-half
* 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
* 1 cups quick-cooking grits
* 1/2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine water, half-and-half, salt and white pepper and bring to a boil. Slowly pour grits into boiling water while whisking the entire time. (Watch out for splattering; mixture is very hot.) Reduce to low heat and continue to whisk often, until thick and completely smooth, about 10 minutes.

2. Add cheese and stir gently until cheese melts. Whisk again to combine. Turn heat off and allow grits to rest 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until completely smooth, silky and shiny.

Tonight I'm making breakfast for dinner at home and will try out this recipe. I'll report back tomorrow if it was successful!

Is your stomach growling yet?

1 comment: