Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Prepare for a tear

I look at a LOT of news channels and outlets - as part of my job - and have become pretty immune to most news stories. I see it all - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Nothing out there really surprises me that much.

However, this picture I came across literally brought tears to my eyes.


The story, courtesy of Philadelphia's NBC affiliate, says:

Little Soldier Girl "Didn't Want to Let Go"

Four-year old Paige didn't want to say goodbye to her daddy before he was shipped off to Iraq

A family photo that shows a little girl beside her father and his fellow soldiers in uniform as they prepare to go to war has resonated well beyond the tight knit Bennethum clan.

Four-year-old Paige Bennethum really, really didn't want her daddy to go to Iraq.

So much so, that when Army Reservist Staff Sgt. Brett Bennethum lined up in formation at his deployment this July, she couldn't let go.

No one had the heart to pull her away.

And if that doesn't make you count your blessings, I don't know what does. We need to remember to constantly keep in our thoughts and prayers those who sacrifice their safety, family and lives to protect our country. I know there are a lot of people out there that have different views of whether or not our country should be at war right now, but I hope people from all sides don't let that get in the way of recognizing the tremendous service of our men and women here at home to protect us, those unable to protect themselves, and the real families that are there to support them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment