Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Heart Holiday

Soooo, this Sunday is Valentine's day. I know a lot of people think it's hokey - but hey, I'm all for a day that celebrates l.o.v.e.

Usually Chad and I exchange gifts, cards, I get flowers and we go to a fancy-schmancy dinner.

Well, this year - I don't know if it's the state of the economy, the fact that we're about to move into a new place, or that I'm in the middle of a Bible study that is focused a lot on the materialism in the world, but we decided that we'd rather do a low-key Valentine's day. No presents and staying in and making a nice dinner. To be honest? I'm actually more excited about this Valentine's day then year's past. No pressure. Just being able to enjoy being together without all the "show."

But don't get me wrong - I ain't serving Kraft Mac n' Cheese and Hot Dogs. I'd still like to do a fancy dinner. Chad mentioned awhile ago wanting gnocchi (mmmmmmmm, my favorite) - so I was trying to figure out what else to serve with it. I know Chad loves (okay, fine, and I really love scallops), so I found this recipe online... and it might have to be a our V-day dinner!

Pan-Seared Diver Scallops with Sweet Potato Gnocchi

Ingredients
1-2 sweet potatoes or 1 Carolina yam (approx. 12 oz.)
4 oz. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. “kosher” salt
Pinch of pepper
1 egg
1lb. (approx.) of large, dry sea scallops (or 20 pieces)
1/3 cup cheffonade (chopped arugula or spinach)
4 oz. chopped mushrooms (white, shiitake and porcini – sliced thin)
2 oz. olive oil
1/2 oz. white truffle oil
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup water or stock
1oz. wine
1tbsp. parsley
Grated parmesan cheese

Directions:

For Pasta:
Microwave* (or cook in water) the sweet potato “in its jacket” (or unpeeled) and let it cool. Peel and mash it with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste, flour and egg and knead together to form a delicate dough. Pasta will be sticky so dust with flour as needed. Cut into strips and roll. Then cut into bite-sized nuggets. Pasta may be held for service or cooked in water and reserved until needed.
* Microwaving the potato helps to remove moisture so less flour may be used, resulting in a softer, delicate dumpling.

For Scallops:
Dry the scallops on paper towels and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roll in flour and pan-sear in a hot pan until golden on the outside but medium rare on the inside. Reserve until needed.

For Final Dish:
Saute mushrooms in olive oil and butter until lightly browned (approx. 2 minutes). Add salt, pepper, garlic and parsley. Saute further until aromatic and light brown. Add stock (or water), wine and gnocchi and toss together to warm thoroughly. Add chopped arugula, parmesan cheese and drizzle with white truffle oil. Divide amongst 4 plates. Divide the scallops into a star pattern around the gnocchi and serve at once.

1 comment:

  1. How about you make enough of that amazing recipe to share it with Heather and I? I mean why go through all of that trouble, just for two people to enjoy, when you could make me some, and I could say I made it, and then we all win?

    ReplyDelete