Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Breaking bread

I believe if someone told me that I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, I would request that it would be homemade bread.

Of any sort.

There is nothing - I repeat nothing - as good as yummy homemade bread... of any variety.

Yeast dinner rolls warm from the oven.
Sunflower bread with a little butter and a drizzle of honey straight from the farmer's market.
Crusty baguette topped with a slice of cheese.
Fresh, chewy rye.

I could go on all day. I just loooooove bread.

I remember being younger (when my mom was a stay-at-home mom), she would make those mini loafs of fresh bread. There was nothing better in the world. To this day, I think if a stranger walked up to me and handed me a fresh mini loaf of bread, I'd kiss them and propose marriage.

But baking bread myself? Well that something I have not tried yet. That seems a little advanced for me. I still feel like a cooking novice. Moms are the only ones who know how to bake bread. I've only ever baked bread with my mom. I can't do it solo! Or can I?

So I decided to push my bread-baking fears aside after reading Hungry Mouse's blog post about Fougasse (Provencal Bread with Olives & Herbs.)
And if I didn't try to make it this weekend... well... I don't think I'd be able to live with myself. So I'm doing it. I'm running with my arms wide open into the world of yeast, rising and kneading.

I'll report back to you with my success... or lack there of.

Kneading love,
MPLT

No comments:

Post a Comment