Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Handy Husband: The Result

So my very own Handy Manny -- with the help of his talking tools... and his dad -- finally finished our beautiful new kitchen table and benches that I blogged about awhile back.

And. it. is. breathtaking.


A lot of time, effort and hard work went into the table, and I'm so glad the end-result shows every ounce of it. We (and by we, I mean not me at all) modified the version we were originally going to make, and I'm so glad. I think the table legs are gorgeous. And although the table is still "rustic," it still has a polished feel thanks to some gorgeous stain and coats of poly.

Thanks to a suggestion of my dear friend, blog reader and fellow blogger Amy, we chose an English Chestnut stain that was just perfect. It is deep, rich and warm... and fits pe
rfectly with the rest of our decor.

I'm in the process of ordering a small brass plate that we can attach to the underside or side of the table with Chad and his dad's names as the builders - along with the date they built it and the age of the wood. Chad's dad believes the wood is more than 100 years old... and it was the wood that const
ructed Chad's late great-grandmother's house. It is chock full of so much character- gorgeous worm holes and pits and divots.

It is a show piece with such a story behind it. We can't wait to enjoy holiday celebrations, dinners with friends, and festive celebrations on it for years to come. And best of all, it's a piece that we can pass on to our future generations.

So a big round of applause and lots of hugs and kisses to
my sweet Chaddy for such an awesome job. You constantly amaze me.

All finished:
In its new home:


1 comment:

  1. The table looks amazing & fits so well in the space! I love how much meaning is in it too - materials & building!

    ReplyDelete