Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Why MPLT Should Not "Ebay"

Bidding on items on Ebay is pretty much amazing. Unless you are Type-A like me and therefor prone to being:

1) Anxious

2) Competitive

Anxious and competitive people can be dangerous in a setting like Ebay. Dangerous to ourselves and others.

So I found the exact Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 30-30 SIP infant carseat plus TWO bases (same colors and everything) that I was registered for (and figured we'd end up buying for ourselves anyway), on Ebay last week. Bought in Dec. 2010, and barely used for 3 months by a NYCtier, and seller said the only way you could tell it's been used is there is one scratch on a sticker on one of the bases. Other than that, absolutely pristine condition. Buying new would cost us $330. I started my bidding on Ebay at her lowest offer: $120 last week.

Lesson 1 to novice Ebayer: Don't bid early.

But whateva. I was the only bidder for days and was convinced I was going to make out like a bandit with this sucka for $120. Needless to say, Friday night some other probably desperate, hormonal mama-to-be decided to duel and upped my ante. Price soared up quickly to $150. Winning = other mama.

I decided to not rebid until this morning (when the bidding closed.) With about an hour to go, I increased my max and was winning out at $180. Holllla. Was convinced this chick knew better than to step to me. (aka: why you can't be an competitive person on Ebay... we take this 'ish personal.)

Of course, homegirl decided to come at me again and jumped her max bid up to who knows what, so I knew that it was going to be down to the wire. I called Chad and confirmed he would let me raise my bid to $200 (knowing shipping is going to cost $30)... so that we'd still be saving $100. He told me to go for it.

So with 30 seconds left (aka: why you can't be an anxious person on Ebay... my heart was literally pounding out of my chest watching the Ebay clock tick down on my cell phone), I decided to up my bid to $200. However, in a moment of sheer genius --- which is what makes MPLT, MPLT --- I thought this other crazy probably bid right over $200, so if I really wanted to win, to bid like $202.50.

10...
9...
8...
7...
6...
5...
4...
3...
2...
1...

WINNER: MPLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you even had to guess.

Checked the bidding history - sure 'nuff OCM (other crazy mama) had put in her max bid at $200.99. I bet she's a crying hormonal mess on the phone with her husband that she lost out by a $1.50. I would hope her tears would be dried knowing she was going against a most worthy opponent. Unfortunately, she doesn't know that and will probably spend the rest of the day drowning her loss in a tub of Breyers Butter Pecan.

MPLT's Ebay Lesson to OCM:


MPLT's Ebay Lesson to MPLT:

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I can totally relate about eBay! I got up at 3:30 a.m. on Saturday to bid on a textbook that was ending at 12:30 Pacific time. But, I won and saved $80!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Julie! Glad I'm not the only one. Chad said he's cutting me off from Ebay... I got a littttttle too excited when I won!

    ReplyDelete