Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Baby update

I had my 30+ week check-up yesterday and all went well. It's hard to believe I only have about 9 weeks left until my due date. Where does the time go?!

My gestational diabetes readings have continued to be completely normal - which I attribute to (for the most part) sticking well to my diet and exercise. I have gained 10lbs on the nose for this pregnancy thus far. My doctors continue to think that I'll likely gain right under 20lbs total for the pregnancy. One of my OBs yesterday told me that he is so proud of me and that I'm doing perfect. The baby is growing (according to the stomach measurements) and is measuring right in line with where he should be.

This is a relief, because I was definitely beating myself up for the diabetes thing - so I'm glad to know that I'm managing it all well and that the baby and I are responding appropriately. My blood pressure continues to be within a normal range and everything else looks fine.

The biggest thing I've been proud of during the last several weeks (despite my ballooning belly) has been my ability to continue working out on a regular basis (every weeknight that I'm home) for about 30-45 minutes on the elliptical. I asked my doctor about my exercise yesterday and if I was fine to continue up until the birth - and he told me absolutely and it was one of the best things I can be doing for myself and baby. Not only will it help me bounce back to quicker after the birth, but it will also go a ways to improve my endurance to help with the most intense work-out I'll likely ever experience - LABOR.

My evening workouts have been great to get me breathing hard and heart and blood really pumping. I also think it helps wear my body out a little more so that I'm sleeping better than I would without it.

As much as I'd like to pat myself on the back for all this, part of this has really been luck. I know some ladies, who despite their best efforts, for various reasons have to take it easy the last few months of pregnancy (due to swelling, sickness, exhaustion, bed-rest, etc.) I'm thankful that my body has continued to cooperate with me - for the time being - so I'm going to take advantage of it as long as I safely can!

I go back in 2 weeks for another check-up and ultrasound (yay!) to make sure the baby is continuing to grow not too big and not too small. I can't wait to see my little guy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment